2017-2018 Opportunities for Teachers
Attention All Memphis-Area Science Teachers!
The University of Memphis, in partnership with Shelby County Schools, invites you to our first Science Share-a-Thon
! In this free, informal professional development session, you will learn about the NEW Tennessee Science Standards, get some practical lesson plans to use in your classroom immediately, and network with new and experienced science teachers. There will also be a continental breakfast (starting at 9:00am
) and door prizes!
Please reserve your spot here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/GQZBTMV
Shelby County teachers, you can reserve your spot and get PD credit through PLZ. Just register for “Science Share-a-thon,” #15161, section 20110.
If you have any questions, please contact Katie Wade-Jaimes at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your package will include:
- 12-month school-year activity calendar, suitable for hanging
- New Earth Science Week poster, including a learning activity
- NASA materials on Earth science and LandSat images
- National Park Service posters on glaciers, fossils, and clean air
- Geologic Map Day poster dealing with karst and sinkholes
- Mineral Education Coalition “What’s In My Toothpaste” game
- Association of American Geographers GeoMentors flyer
- Bureau of Land Management dinosaur coloring page
- CZO-sponsored The Earth Scientist newsletter
- AmericaView board game using satellite imagery
- Soil Science Society of America magnetic bookmark
- Howard Hughes Medical Institute posters on the biosphere
- UNAVCO Tectonic Motions of Alaska poster
- Switch Energy Project information on video resources
- National Wildlife Federation Eco-Schools USA postcard
- Material on GSA’s EarthCache in Education program
- Natural Resources Conservation Service information on soils
- CLEAN, AIPG, IRIS, NCKRI, Flyover Country information
Copies of the "Earth and Human Activity" Earth Science Week Toolkit are free and available for the cost of shipping and handling ($8.50 for the first kit, $2.25 for each additional kit in the United States). This price includes Library Rate shipping to U.S. addresses via the U.S. Postal Service, allowing 2-3 weeks for delivery.
Place your order for the 2017 kit on Earth and Human Activity here.
Technology Teacher Grant
Share your tech-focused lesson plan and WIN up to $1,000 for your classroom!
Applications Due December 9, 2017 - don't miss this opportunity to apply for the Technology Teacher Grant sponsored by Verizon! For more information, click here.
REC Foundation and TVA Robotics Partnership
TVA is funding a project to support VEX robotics teams in every school in TN!
By applying, each school will receive a VEX Super Competition Robot Kit, Programming software, free curriculum, and teacher training to insure that your students can compete successfully during this 2017-18 season and beyond.
Your financial responsibility will be to register your team for competitions each year ($150) and compete in at least one qualifying event during the season. Those tournament fees typically range from $25-$50 per team and will occur at locations throughout the state from Oct-Feb, with the State Championship held in March and the World Championship in April.
- VEX IQ is recommended for Elementary School
- VRC is recommended for High School.
- Middle Schools may choose either.
Click here for the application instructions. It will take about 15 minutes to complete and awards will be issued starting in September. New teacher training workshops will be offered in locations throughout the state during October, November, and December.
The Regional Support Manager for TN VEX robotics is Shelli Brasher (Shelli_Brasher@roboticseducation.org or 901-486-9618). She is available to work with teachers, administrators, parents, and students to insure successful programs. Feel free to contact her for additional information!
The contest ended September 25, 2017, but enjoy browsing the entries below.
Click here to view the #GenSTEMContest Submissions
Discover the STEM in you - take a quiz to find your STEM personality or try out the photo lab to bring STEM to life in your photos.